The Kenya Information and Communications Act, 1998, outlines the functions of the Authority in relation to postal services as follows:
- Ensure that postal and other related services are provided throughout Kenya, on such terms, as the Authority may deem expedient.
- Ensure that the public post licensee is able to provide postal services at rates consistent with efficient and continuous service and financing viability.
- Promote development of postal systems and services in accordance with recognized international standards, practices and public demand.
- Exercise licensing and regulatory functions in respect of postal systems and services in Kenya in accordance with this Act.
- Regulate the fixing of rates of postage and other fees or sums to be charged in respect of postal services.
- Promotion and development of standards in the field of postal systems and services.